Re: GTK+ on Mac OS X status

Hello Gour,

Sunday, November 20, 2011, 10:40:18 PM, you wrote:

G> In the meantime we were busy with other (web) stuff and yesterday went
G> checking what's the status of D's ecosystem with the intention to
G> re-consider doing our project in D.

Is it really? I'm watching it for 5 years now at it is always in
terrible broken state. Definitely a no for me.

G> We found out that gtkD might be stable enough, but we wonder what is the
G> status of GTK+ port on Mac OS?

G> Personally, we prefer GTK+ over Qt, running GTK-based desktop (Xfce),
G> but cannot (due to different reasons) to sacrifice look & behaviour of
G> the application on Mac OS X platform.

Forget it. Neither you nor any customer of you will get happy with
GTK+ on MacOSX.

G> Any hint?

The only ways are
1) WxWidgets

2) Maintain two GUI's. Write a small abstraction layer for your
required widget functionality and then put the window creation stuff
(which is the most toolkit specific) into a different module for each
platform. Thats how i did it, but yes it's very expensive. 6 men
months for us.

3) Just develop for one platform and do this with 100% quality.

4) Dont' care about native Apps and play the GUI Nazi.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar                            mailto:llothar web de