Re: GTK+ on Mac OS X status

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:34:14 +0700
Lothar Scholz <llothar web de> wrote:

> And for any commerical application you will see that soon there is no
> way to use GTK+ anymore on this systems. Apples App Store will became
> so important that you have to obey the rules that you must use the
> Cocoa toolkit and on Windows8 we see the same with Metro. No metro no
> app store. When you only target geeks then it might be ok, they can
> use fink and unix tools and don't worry about the GUI output.

In our case, we plan to write open-source app.

> It very much depends on your competition, customer base and
> application domain. But it's stupid from a business/money making point
> to use GTK+ on anything else then Linux.

Hmm...what would you say then about Qt on Mac?

> So for Gour i stay with my advise to use WxWidget and select a
> programming language that has a good binding. WxWidgets is using GTK
> by the way in it's most stable Unix port.

Do you consider wxWdgets better option for Mac than Qt?

> And did your boss really approve to use an experiemental language like
> D - he's brave!

Considering it's open-source application, he is more like 'mentor' than
'boss'. :-)

> I learned it the hard way to not put my trust into community projects
> like this. Use a WxWidget/Script-Language/C/C++ combination.

We would like to stay away from C(++). Otoh, wxwidgets is also community
project, isn't it?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body,
from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes

In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution,
and a little advancement on this path can protect
one from the most dangerous type of fear.