Re: Gnumeric 1.7.11 for Windows?

Hi again Jody

Just to clear where I stand: I'm not a brat shouting on a mailing list.
I'm someone who cares about Gnumeric and is trying to contribute to have a
stable, powerful Windows spreadsheet.

What modifications or suggestions have we ignored ?
I'll make another win32 release when it will fix problems.

This is just the proof that my messages are being ignored... Since the
1.7.6 installer you can not create a chart in Gnumeric (due to the problem
with the dislocated pixmaps). I think that creating charts is a pretty
important feature (at least in my work). Isn't that reason enough to
create a new win32 release?

I know you can move the files manually to the appropriate folder but this
is just for advanced users. Imagine a new user that downloads the 1.7.10
build for the first time (there is no warning on the Gnumeric homepage
that this is a development build) and tries to do something as simple as
adding a chart...

2) Welcome to open source.  My development window is on the commuter
   train in the mornings and evenings and things take time.  Check
   your irritation at the door.  As my grandmother taught me.
    "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"

I have been using and supporting open source projects for a long time
(years). I have said many nice things about Gnumeric but I think that I
don't need to start every email with compliments...

3) The priorities for win32 are
      a) enable python
      b) fix printing
      c) create an installer
      d) finish automating the build
    in that order.

I would consider the first priority eliminating all bugs that cause the
program to crash and then add new features.

NOTE : I intentionally released the 1.7.11 package in something the
    average win32 user would not install, a tar.bz2.  Without an
    installer it was not suitable for anyone that did not know how
    to handle that non-standard format.  eg it did not update the
    registry, or install shortcuts, or mime type handlers ...

That sounds reasonable. But you could warn the users (at least those in
the mailing list)

Win32 is in better shape than before in that I can actually debug
things finally.  However, there is some polish to be done before
1.8.0.

I agree that Gnumeric is improving with each version. That's why I
insisted on having the latest build to keep contributing!

Peace,
Pedro