Re: Gnumeric 1.7.11 for Windows?

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 07:38:40PM +0100, Pedro Lino wrote:

The win32 builds don't lag because we don't like you!  We are just very
short on win32 expertise.

Yes, I realize that. But if you (gnumeric devs) asked for assistance for
the win32 docs and accept bug reports for the win build you should be
willing to make modifications and accept suggestions for that platform.
And the only pay back I'm asking in return is an updated binary :)

What modifications or suggestions have we ignored ?

I'll make another win32 release when it will fix problems.   We're
getting close to an automatable win32 build but it's not there yet
and help is always appreciated.  Unfortunately right now what is
neededed on win32 is mainly development experience.   My suggestions
to you are as follows

1) File bugs whenever you find them.  The cost to you is minimal to
   report them, and at worst we'll mark them as fixed/dups.  The
   extra reports add data indicating the severity of the problem.

2) Welcome to open source.  My development window is on the commuter
   train in the mornings and evenings and things take time.  Check
   your irritation at the door.  As my grandmother taught me.
    "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"

3) The priorities for win32 are
        a) enable python
        b) fix printing
        c) create an installer
        d) finish automating the build
    in that order.
If people are interested I can put the scripts I've been using in
svn now, but fair warning they do not work without a fair amount of
manual kicking.

NOTE : I intentionally released the 1.7.11 package in something the
    average win32 user would not install, a tar.bz2.  Without an
    installer it was not suitable for anyone that did not know how
    to handle that non-standard format.  eg it did not update the
    registry, or install shortcuts, or mime type handlers ...

Win32 is in better shape than before in that I can actually debug
things finally.  However, there is some polish to be done before
1.8.0.