Re: Hotkeys vs. Mouse

On Sunday, 22 May, 2011 11:25 AM, Ryan Peters wrote:
That is to say, they are forced them to re-learn and cannot see the benefit.  Moreover when one of them persists, there is always a convenient answer that involves relearning with a small dose of "who cares that it's a bit harder to do x".
Will you please stop this? I'm sorry, but you are refusing to give any good examples whatsoever of how it's harder to use the interface and this thread is going in circles because of it (which you blame on me, which isn't the case at all). You are just assuming that, because some people don't like it, that it *has* to be bad, when there are many, many happy GNOME 3 users that don't resort to fallback mode. Please do not respond to this until you stop repeating the same message over and over without examples. GNOME cannot move forward (for your definition of "forward") without solid evidence that it would be better to do so; seriously, how can anybody expect GNOME to change without proper reasoning behind it? It would be illogical to do otherwise.

The *only* potentially good reason I've heard for, say, wanting a window list, is that some users like using the mouse and don't want to have to use the keyboard. In some (not all) cases this is the fault of the user for not trying to use both of their hands, but in other cases, such as if the user has only one hand or rarely has two hands available, it can be worked around with an extension. There are many, many extensions that enable a GNOME 2-like experience (application menu, icons on the top panel, moving the clock, etc.) and if GNOME 3 *cannot possibly fit into a user's workflow*, some extensions can help remedy that.
I am one of those users(who like using their mouse when switching apps, rarely use the alt-tab). The reason for this is if I have a focused application where it was using several keys in the keyboard as a hot key, it might be that hot keys will create conflicts in applications as I have experience in Windows. I might be wrong, but that is my perception as of this moment for not using the hot keys.

Regards,
Allan