Re: Dialog box locked to under title bar. Can we make it fade?

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 10:47 +1200, John Stowers wrote:

> This happens 10s of times per day for me when reading/managing papers.

Yeah.  Don't you hate Citeseer for its stupid filenames? :)

> Fortunately addressing this particular annoyance seems to be the goal of
> the 'Document Centric GNOME' additions for matching open files back to
> the file system.

Yes, indeed!

> All of this has been discussed on ddl and live.gnome.org very recently
> (and to be honest I'm not convinced anyone in a position to change
> things reads or cares about this list)

Anyone who can type "git diff" and who is diligent enough to get a
Bugzilla account is in a position to change things.

Let me tell you a story.

I do woodworking in my spare time.  To this end, I read a few online
forums for woodworkers.  There is a *lot* of talk about tools (saws,
chisels, planes), a little less talk about projects-in-progress (tables,
desks, cabinets), and lots of frequently-asked questions ("how do I cut
a mortise and tenon?").

The people who talk about tools are either extremely clueful
(experienced and know what they are talking about; most have made some
of their own tools), extremely clueless ("is this $5 saw from Home Depot
any good?"), or a *TOTAL* pain in the ass.  The ones who are a pain in
the ass post things like:

	"I just saw the new line of chisels by $Major-Manufacturer.
	I was dismayed to see that the blade is held to the handle
	by a socket, not by a tang.  How on earth does
	$Major-Manufacturer dare to do such a thing?  Hasn't everyone
	on this forum agreed that the tang design is better?  I mean,
	don't they *read* what we say here?"

And off they go into a 30-post discussion of chisel handles.

The tool manufacturers hate them, the clueful woodworkers hate them, and
the clueless ones just don't understand what they were talking about.

It happens ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

This list is similar.  It is also similar to the mostly-useless
usability-list gnome org.  People post their *cough* valuable opinions
on their *ahem* carefully-considered implications of designs, and they
*love* to be backseat drivers.  They have endless time to discuss and
discuss, but they don't do any work apart from that.  Not an informal
usability test on a friend, not a minimal patch to change anything,
nothing that is immediately useful.

The clueful people that read this list can detect the pattern and ignore
those posts quickly - these would eat all their valuable time otherwise.

  Federico