Re: My opinions on Gnome Shell

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 13:21 -0400, Jesse Hutton wrote:

> My main point of contention with that rational is that not all windows
> are part of any particular task for a user. Would a music player be
> part of a specific task? What about an instant messenger or IRC
> client? Even for email, I can easily think of use cases where you
> would want to associate the application with a given task in one
> instance (maybe you're communicating with somebody about a particular
> project), and then a different one in another. In other words, the use
> cases for email span a larger scope than a single task.

Yeah, this is certainly my biggest problem with the Shell design. It's
probably taken to an extreme, for me, because I can't separate tasks *at
all*: any task I do, related to work or personal use or anything else,
uses the same few windows - mail client, browser, chat client, text
editor, terminal. Sometimes I have a music player too, and as you say,
this clearly spans all tasks. I have yet to find any way I can possibly
split these into multiple workspaces that makes any sense, so I simply
can't use workspaces the way Shell intends. I could try and split
different web pages between different 'types' in different Firefox
windows, I guess, but it feels like it'd be more work than it would be
worth.

I don't really find it a problem and I just keep everything in one
workspace, but I certainly feel like this aspect of the Shell design
doesn't do anything for me.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey