Re: My opinions on Gnome Shell

>> 1. No minimize button (I can't even mention the number of times I have
>> cursed you for this, so far...).
>
> Minimizing is pretty much an obsolete notion.
Software exist to serve the users' needs. I need minimizing.
I believe the number of people that need minimizing vastly outnumber those who don't.
>> 2. Switching between widows is PAINFUL. The options I have is: move
>> mouse to top-left or press the window key.
>
> Alt-tab / Alt-tick

Window management should not require keyboard.

>> Then when the "window" view opens, and after its effects are finished,
>> I cannot immediatly find the window I am looking for. Why? Because of
>> the effects. Colors fade, windows thumbs pop and resize and rearange.
>
> The effects are instant for me.
The effects are pretty fast on my machine too. However they still blow my focus.
In general moving things are intrusive. Here is my list of intrusiveness, from worst
to less bad:

1. Rearranging stuff. I map the relative position of each open window in my desktop
even when they are overlapped. The rearranging effect completely destroys that.

2. Moving stuff (slides, scales, etc.)

3. Fades in and out.
>> the one I am looking for. Also the virtual desktops bar at the right, I
>> have to move my mouse on top of it to see it all! Very annoying, too
>> many mouse moving around.
>
> Ctrl-Alt-Up/Down

Window management should not require keyboard.
>> What I would like (suggest).
>> Having to go to "activities" to manage my windows is a disaster. Window
>> management should be "always on"! That means the dock and the virtual
>> desktop bar should be visible by default on my plain old desktop.
>
> Noooooooo! I hope we never ever go back to that.
>
> Workspaces with many windows are much easier to manage in Shell, and movig windows between workspaces is much more integrated; so I actually use workspaces more.
Have you asked the rest of the world?

>> That would leave the "activities" only with one view, the
>> "applications" and think about it. It makes sense and maps much better
>> to the Gnome 2 design.
>
> Gnome 2 is dead, long live Gnome 3!  As a very skeptical Gnome 2 user I am totally sold on Gnome 3.  It is different, but different better; but u have to adapt your workflow.

I really tried to yet it is still painful. As I said, software shouldn't be painful, should be intuitive.