Re: GNOME 3 from Fedora user's perpective - request for changes

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Aniruddha <mailingdotlist gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> The course is already set and ship has left the dock, we can't turn back
> now.  Your changes effectively mean reversing 2 years of design and work.
> Try it for a week with an open mind, watch the videos, put in bugs on things
> that you feel are interaction problems.  When you invest in the community
> then you'll have a [greater] voice.

That the ship has left is no argument. To use your analogy; It better
better to return to the harbor and fix the broken design  then to sink
at full sea because of design faults. I have watched all video's tried
it on my laptop and came to the conclusion that for me the design was
broken by default because of the way the activities work. I like
Gnome, like I said I have used it for years and I would to continue to
use it. That's why I take take the time to explain why Gnome Shell in
it's current form doesn't work for me.

The only reason it is broken is that it didn't meet your particular need at this moment.  There is nothing broken about the design.  As many can attest on this mailing list a lot of us do like the shell for what it does once you adjust yourself to it.  If you believe that the fact that you have to adjust as broken then I don't know what to tell you other than to try it for a prolonged amount of time.  It took me two days to re-adjust.  I use it at work in an enterprise environment with a lot of terminals, web browser windows, mail application, music player, twitter.. IM , you name it.  It's all running on separate workspaces and I switch between them seamlessly.  I work in a heavily command line driven environment and it works much better than GNOME 2 did.  I expect that with extensions it will grow even more useful.

All we can offer you on this mailing list is that you give us an interaction that you have trouble doing in GNOME and we will try to help you.

FYI - GNOME Journal just released their latest issue, and they have two good articles on the history of how GNOME Shell was developed.  Read it. http://www.gnomejournal.org/

sri