Re: GNOME 3 from Fedora user's perpective - request for changes

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Aniruddha <mailingdotlist gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> What exactly are you doing in your tasks?  There is a shortcut dash on the
> overview, so you can do things with one click.  Even with GNOME 2, you had
> to search for the apps in the main menu.  Your claim of taking longer
> doesn't quite ring true.  If you have applications that you use frequently
> then put them on the dash, eg right click on an application and add it to
> the favorites.
>
> I admit there some kind of visual cue to show which apps in the dash are
> already running would be helpful.  But really, it's not that much of a
> change in the workflow.  Of course short cuts will be available as shell
> matures.  Software development is not static, it continues to evolve just
> like it did in GNOME 2.  It took GNOME 2 about a year or so to evolve into
> something that looked well put together and integrated.
>
> sri

Example.

Watch youtube video and start rss reader/  Thunderbird etc. Now I only
have to click the icon lower left corner and this doesn't interrupt me
from what I am doing (watching youtube). With activities I have to
interrupt what I was doing, which happened a lot of times when I used
Gnome shell, I find this quit distracting. Furthermore I always have a
lot of application running at the same time. At the moment  I have a
good overview of my running applications in the task bar and can
switch applications with 1 mouse click, browsing with alt-tab has been
available for as long as I can remember, I never used it because I
found it more time consuming to search for my applications with this
function. The activity again distract me from what I was doing and it
is more time consuming for me to use activity to search for my running
applications.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are doing while watching youtube?  How can you start any new application without taking your eyes off of youtube?  I generally assume when you want to do something different you're going to stop looking at youtube long enough to do whatever you're doing?  Are you saying that the animation to the overview is distracting you from watching you tube?  There is an extension that lets you add a dash on your main screen you could use that to launch applications without going to the overview.  Or you could use docky which I believe runs on GNOME 3.  I use GNOME DO myself to launch ssh's.

It seems to me that docky would fit just fine for your purpose.

sri