Re: Vincent Untz and the "users that like to hate people"

On Tue, 2013-02-19 at 10:27 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 09:30:08AM +0800, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
As you mentioned, YaST is probably providing a "Device Manager".
So why "Device Manager" stuff has to be distro specific?
Is it something distro specific by itself?
Thought I already mentioned that there are various tools for this. E.g.
http://fontanon.org/udevdiscover/

Ah, that reminds me: there is udev-browse [/usr/bin/udev-browse].  That
lets you navigate all the hardware components.   It is about as useful
as the device manager on Windows - as neither will tell you as much
about hardware that isn't working as you'd like to know.

Also seen loads of others. Still do not understand why this is oh so
important.

I agree that this is a minor issue.  If you are to the level of hardware
and module debugging what you need is expertise, more than tools.

Rule number one: by quality hardware that is known to work.

My HP DV7-3085DX worked out-of-the-box.  When it died I replaced it with
an HP DV7-6B32US where - everything worked out of the box;  it has been
a very solid workhorse.  I pre-screen hardware purchases to see if there
are components likely to be problematic; finding hardware that will
just-work has been pretty easy for years now.  Don't buy crap off the
store shelf on a whim.