Re: Questions regarding Sun's gnome 2.6 implementation

[ bunch of comments that sound like window manager and/or xterm issues
  snipped ]

Btw, did you ever try gnome-terminal instead of xterm? Does it behave
properly?

> You have made my life so much better in the past few days by helping me to
> get these desktop function working.  I have one more thing I would like to
> accomplish.  In Gnome 2.0, when I right-clicked on a window frame and selected
> the command to move the window to another workspace, the window focus would
> move along with the window.  For example, if on workspace #1 I moved a window
> to workspace #3, the window would now be on workspace #3 and I would also now
> be looking at workspace #3.  In JDS 3.0, the window moves as instructed, but
> the focus remains on workspace #1.  Is there a setting in gconf that controls
> this behavior?  I've looked through the list but don't see anything obvious.

I believe this is a design decision in the window manager.

Personally, I don't use this anyway. It is too slow, needs to many
clicks, and most importantly... Wants me to use the mouse. ;)

What I *do* use though, are keyboard shortcuts to move windows. I don't
recall if GNOME 2.6 supports this, but if so, you just need to have a
look at your Keyboard Shortcuts preferences -- assign keys, if they are
not by default. I got the option to define keys to directly move a
window to any workspace. And to switch to any workspace directly. Also I
got the options to switch workspaces left and right. And to move windows
the same...

The latter two actually are what I really do use often. Moving
workspaces left and and right -- and optionally, to take the active
window with me... Most useful to me. :)

HTH

  guenther