Re: Questions regarding Sun's gnome 2.6 implementation

"Karsten =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Br=E4ckelmann?=" <guenther rudersport de> writes:

>It's /apps/metacity/general/reduced_resources for me.
>Ah, default value. ;)
>
>$ grep -c reduced ~/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/*
>0
>
>$ gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/reduced_resources --type bool true
>
>$ grep -c reduced ~/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/*
>1
>
>However, the Preferences capplets don't offer all possible keys. There
>are a couple low level keys, generally not interesting to the user. You
>can edit these keys (not offered by the Preferences) either with
>'gconf-editor' (UI) or 'gconftool-2' (CLI). You can easily navigate the
>entire preferences tree, inspect and change the values using the former.
>The latter requires knowledge of the exact key name.

guenther:

Thanks you for this detailed help.  I didn't even know about the gconf-editor
tool.  I made the change and now the desktop is working much more smoothly.
I can't imagine why Sun would ship Gnome 2.0 with this property disabled
and then ship 2.6 with it enabled.  Now that I understand how to modify these
parameter, I'll take a look at what else I can adjust.  Thanks again.

Regards,
--
Jeff