Re: Help me get SVN access for translations

On 10/22/07, Og Maciel <ogmaciel gnome org> wrote:
> Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure how I bothered the accounts
> team yet, for all I did was to follow the protocol (i.e. request an
> account via the web).

Well, you skipped one important step -- making sure your coordinator
supports your request beforehand... Possibly the instructions weren't
clear enough on that point, but the fact remains, if you request an
account and the person who is supposed to vouch for you (the
maintainer or coordinator) doesn't agree with your account request,
then the account request itself is mostly just a waste of everyone's
time, since it will get denied asap. That's what I meant with
"bothered".

> And since this was related to translations, I
> sent it to the gnome-i18n list. If this eventually landed on your
> inbox by mistake, I'm not sure where it got detoured.

No no, I purposedly replied to this thread on gnome-i18n. I still read
this list occasionally. :-)

> Anyhow, thanks for your time.  I was already familiar with the
> contents of the link you posted here. I was never under the impression
> that my constant presence alone would guarantee me an account. I have
> always believed in merits and that alone has served me well in pretty
> much every project I've ever gotten involved so far. I have embraced
> the GNOME project for the last 18 months now and have come to know
> many people. It is my wish to become a committer for the Brazilian
> team because I feel very strongly about the cause. I hoped that merit
> and trust would eventually lead me to this goal... the same way it
> helped me become a member of the Foundation.

I am confident that you have contributed loads of valueable stuff, and
I strongly hope that you will find the time and motivation to continue
to do so.

Unfortunately, merits alone are not sufficient for an account request.
Since accounts come with great responsibility, they are also granted
based on trust -- you will have to have convinced your
maintainer/coordinator to trust you enough for an account.

I hope this issue will get resolved, but that's a matter inside your
team, and between you and your coordinator. If you cannot resolve it
between yourselves, bring the issue upstream in the GTP. But don't
bother the accounts team until your coordinator supports your request.

And last but not least -- don't let this put you down. Keep up the
good work and convince your coordinator that you need the account --
nothing is more convincing than loads of good, high quality and
frequent contributions.