Re: Help me get SVN access for translations

On 10/21/07, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 01:35:38PM -0400, Og Maciel wrote:
> > Thank you for stepping in. I completely understand every little bit of
> > what you said. And though I don't complete agree about svn account not
> > being a reward for good work, I can obviously respect the decision.
>
> It is not a decision. It has always been this way / policy. There is one
> coordinator who checks in for everyone. This works fine for many teams.

IIRC, this wasn't exactly the policy. The policy was basically that
accounts are given following certain conditions:

1) based on current *need* for an account -- i.e. can you show that
you have a need for an account. This is usually done by showing past
contributions, but contrary to a "reward", what's most interesting is
if you need it *now*. Had it been a "reward", then you could have
contributed much in the past, but could stop tomorrow, but still be
eligable. So just to make it absolutely clear, accounts are *not* a
reward, they're based on current need (there was some comment about
the account being a "reward" earlier in this thread, which worries
me).

2) based on approval/vouching for by the maintainer. In the case of
translations, the equivalent of a maintainer is your language team
coordinator.
The maintainer decides who he or she does trust. If your maintainer
says no, then it *is* no. There's nothing the accounts team could or
should do about that. Then it is not an accounts problem, but a team
problem.

Given 1) and 2), there's nothing in policy that said a single language
team could only have one committer. But since large translation teams
often tend to have a bigger need (1), that's usually why they tend to
have more in practice. But the exact number could vary, based on how
the team is organised.

So Og, if you and the coordinator have clearly different opinions,
then it is a team problem, not an accounts one. Please don't disturb
the accounts people about the problem; they have much to do as is. If
you and the coordinator have different opinions, you need to settle
them first, before even requesting an account. That's how the system
works. If you cannot settle them inside your team, and you're unhappy
with the current coordinator, then you need to bring this up for
discussion on gnome-i18n, so the team issue can be resolved. But
please do not make it an accounts problem, because it is not.