[Gimp-user] How can I hide text on a CD label template?

PDF/X-4 permits factors like transparency, fonts embedded in the file.
What you get from Gimp is a flattened image, it is a single graphic in
a PDF wrapper. You will not have any transparency , embedded
fonts..etc. Discmakers will only use the circular area covering the
disc.

What you do want is a CMYK PDF, so use that on-line site I mentioned
earlier.

http://www.pdf2cmyk.com Send discmakers the resulting file and see if
they complain. Commercial printers are always whinging.

If you look at discmakers web site, all the products used are
commercial, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Corel Draw. These can
all produce a CMYK PDF from beginning to end.

One thing to note with CMYK is some colours will look muted, typically
bright colours. The inks used for printing do not have the colour
range (gamut) of your over-bright computer RGB monitor. Do a search
for RGB versus CMYK. Consider that before ordering 1000's

You can produce a CMYK PDF/-X4 on your computer using a freeware
application called Scribus, your Gimp graphic can be imported as say a
tif, but it is yet another steep learning curve.

I have a good working relationship with DiscMakers and have used their online
templates on projects and asked Alex for some other  recommendations of programs
that I could use to get more options. He suggested the usual ones plus GIMP. I
sent him an email asking about the PDF/X-4, and will likely hear from him today
on that.

He said don't worry about the RGB they can do the conversion for me for free. I
did send him the PDF of the CD front cover, plus the actual pic I started with,
so he can check it with his graphic techs. So thankfully I have some help on
their end.

I just didn't want to do too much more work before checking to see if I'm on the
right track and then find I have to redo everything a 3rd time. The thing I was
concerned about was on their tutorials saying that a regular PDF can distort the
image to fit on an 8.5x11 paper and that the PDF-X4 doesn't do that. I hope that
doesn't apply to this situation.

--
GerryPeters (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)