[Gimp-user] How can I hide text on a CD label template?

DiscMakers said I should export as a PDF-X4, but I don't see that
option in export. When I exported as a PDF it gave an extension of
PNG, but I changed that to PDF. I left all the boxes unchecked in the
export dialog box.

I opened the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Reader and it looks very good,
but when I printed it it didn't look that good. Should I be concerned?
What about the PDF-X4 file?

You've been such a great help - thank you very much.

PDF/X-4 permits factors like transparency, fonts embedded in the file. What you
get from Gimp is a flattened image, it is a single graphic in a PDF wrapper. You
will not have any transparency , embedded fonts..etc. Discmakers will only use
the circular area covering the disc.

What you do want is a CMYK PDF, so use that on-line site I mentioned earlier.

http://www.pdf2cmyk.com Send discmakers the resulting file and see if they
complain. Commercial printers are always whinging.

If you look at discmakers web site, all the products used are commercial,
InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Corel Draw. These can all produce a CMYK PDF
from beginning to end.

One thing to note with CMYK is some colours will look muted, typically bright
colours. The inks used for printing do not have the colour range (gamut) of your
over-bright computer RGB monitor. Do a search for RGB versus CMYK. Consider that
before ordering 1000's

You can produce a CMYK PDF/-X4 on your computer using a freeware application
called Scribus, your Gimp graphic can be imported as say a tif, but it is yet
another steep learning curve.

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)