[Gimp-user] How can I hide text on a CD label template?

I'm designing the graphics for a CD. I've got all 4 panels done, but
am having trouble with the CD label. I'm using the PDF templates
DiscMakers supplied, who will be duplicating the CD.

The templates have guides showing the borders of the panels. I've
colored the panels with the bucket tool by creating a new layer and
putting it on top of the guide layer. I can easy adjust the size of
the colored layer with the scale tool.

With the actual CD label I'm not sure how to handle it since it's a
circle with a circular cutout in the center. I used to bucket tool to
color the label by just clicking on the label and it fills in nicely,
but it doesn't cover the lines and descriptive text on the guide
layer.

Since I'm not supposed to include the guide layer when I upload the
label to DiscMakers, I wonder if I need to somehow separate the color
on the label into a new layer? how can I solve  this problem? I'm new
to GIMP. I'm including the cd label template with this post.

The bottom line is you turn off the visibility of any layer you do not need
before exporting as a PDF. That is the little 'eye' icon in the layers dialogue.

Probably not as straightforward as you think. Does the printing company provide
information of print resolution and colour mode.

Gimp is a raster editor, works in pixels and real-world dimensions only come in
with printing, so they need to be considered here.

The default for Gimp opening a PDF is 100 pixels-per-inch (ppi) which might not
give the correct printing size and more important quality.

Looking at the PDF in a PDF application gives the document size, 186x186 mm  You
need to use this in Gimp to set the print resolution when importing the PDF. 190
ppi gives the correct size. see screenshot 1

Then it depends how keen you are. For a one-off, adding artwork and keeping
inside the bounds. Use guides and toggle visibility to check as you go along.
Turn off the PDF layer visibility before exporting.

A better way is to set up your own template, with guides and sized layers so you
can see if you exceed the bounds.

An example attached and a screenshot with some art. Turn off visibility of
un-needed layers before exporting.

A bigger hurdle - color mode. CD/DVD disks are typically screenprinted and
require a CMYK image. Gimp is just RGB. You will need some other way to produce
a CMYK file. Ask the printing company.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/824/original/01-import.jpg