Re: [Gimp-user] A sad case of regression ?

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 16:12:06 -0400
From: etters h gmail com
To: tomdkat comcast net
CC: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] A sad case of regression ?

Not exactly, no, the edited image that is now on my screen, the xcf, is
probably a resolution of 300 x 300 and may be a print size of 12 x 16;
But the exported
image is a resolution of 72 and is not meant for printing.   *That* is the
one that I have to re-open (because I can't force it not to close when I
export.)   *That's* the one I have to mail, and if I decided to make a
tweak, I can't just save and mail -- I have to export, re-open ...   I
don't see any way around the repeated reopenings except to make sure
everything I do is perfect the first time, and that's even less likely than
the developers reconsidering this.  Thank you Tom.

I'm not making any sense of this at all.  Image resolution is a piece of metadata and does not in any way
dictate the size of the image as measured in actual image pixels.  If you open an image whose tags say "300
dpi", when you save (or export) it the output file will contain that 300dpi setting.  Now if the image is
12"x16" and tagged as 300dpi this means that the image's physical PIXEL dimensions are 3600x4800.  And when
you export this image to a JPG, that JPG will still be be 3600x4800 pixels large (and tagged as 300dpi)
unless you specifically dictated to GIMP otherwise.  Going to the Image menu and selecting "Resize image..."
rescales the image to a different size in pixels (but doesn't necessarily change the dpi metadata); selecting
"Print Size..." lets you set the dpi metadata directly, but doesn't change the pixel content of the image.

Also, when you export the image to a JPEG, if suddenly your open image window "disappears", well that is not
supposed to happen at all and sounds something like a GIMP program crash, but we don't have enough
information as is to determine that.  And when GIMP crashes, you at least get a message telling you in no
ambiguous terms that something crashed.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com