[Gimp-user] CentOS packanges for 2.8?

That's why you should opt for a general usage distro. Fedora, SUSE,
Ubuntu, and probably the best IMHO, is Mint.

If you want to play with Centos and other boutique distros, be
prepared to do the hard yards.

CentOS/RHEL is not a boutique distro any more than Debian is.  I have been a Fedora user since the distro
began but when they went with GNOME 3, I just couldn't stand it any longer.  I wanted stable and unchanging
with long term support.  Ubuntu TLS distros... are they also boutique?  By "boutique" I presume you mean
"small and specialized."  CentOS (rebranded RHEL) is far from fitting that definition.  (yeah, I am a little
offended but I'll get over it.)

I have had some measure of success but not before running into countless issues with compiling and
configuring.  Among the ones that stick with me is the lack of SVG support.  I have librsvg and librsvg-devel
installed as well as compiled libraries I have installed from source to /opt/gimp-2.8.  The gimp compile
process still does not detect librsvg.  Here is the summary after running ./configure:

Extra Binaries:
  gimp-console:        yes

Optional Features:
  D-Bus service:       yes
  Language selection:  yes

Optional Plug-Ins:
  Ascii Art:           no (AA library not found)
  Compressor:          yes
  Ghostscript:         yes
  Help Browser:        no (WebKit not found)
  LCMS:                yes
  JPEG:                yes
  JPEG 2000:           yes
  MNG:                 yes
  PDF (import):        Using PostScript plug-in (libpoppler not found)
  PDF (export):        yes
  PNG:                 yes
  Print:               yes
  PSP:                 yes
  Python:              yes
  Script-Fu:           yes
  SVG:                 no (librsvg not found)
  TIFF:                yes
  TWAIN (MacOS X):     no
  TWAIN (Win32):       no
  URI:                 yes (using GIO/GVfs)
  Webpage:             no (WebKit not found)
  Windows ICO:         yes
  WMF:                 yes
  XJT:                 yes
  X11 Mouse Cursor:    yes
  XPM:                 yes

Plug-In Features:
  EXIF support:        yes

Optional Modules:
  ALSA (MIDI Input):   yes
  Linux Input:         yes (GUdev support: no (libgudev not found))
  DirectInput (Win32): no
  Color Correction:    yes
  Soft Proof:          yes

Tests:
  Use xvfb-run         no (not found)

It is also of interesting note that I have also attempted to resolve the poppler library lack without
success.  I just don't know what is missing from all of this.

--
erroneus (via gimpusers.com)