Re: [Gimp-user] CentOS packanges for 2.8?

Hello erroneus,

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 00:02:29 +0200
erroneus <forums gimpusers com> wrote:

I've been looking all over but there are just no CentOS (or RHEL for that matter) packages for the latest
version of GiMP.  Compiling from source doesn't even seem to be a good option either as it looks as if it
will break the whole OS the way things are set up.

Why would it? Just compile using "./configure --prefix=/opt/gimp-2.8.x" (for
example) and install under a separate prefix. No need to install directly
under /usr .

Hope it helps.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

This is no way to build an application!  Applications and OSes should never be tied so closely together.

I like GiMP 2.8 for Windows a lot and would prefer to run it under CentOS as that is my main desktop OS.  I
have given up on Fedora because of the unholy abomination GNOME has become.

What is a CentOS user to do?  We want a stable and consistent OS and user experience without having to
reload/update everything after less than a year, and if I want to run a current version of Libre Office,
there is no trouble.  I can do that.  If I want a current version of Firefox, I can do that.  But GiMP?
Nope!

Why would developers choose to shut us out like this?