Re: [Gimp-developer] Windows 10 and Bash on Ubuntu

Hi Petteri,

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Petteri Soininen <pesoini gmail com> wrote:
Hi

Not gaining personally anything, but maybe making development builds more
accessible to those who come from MS Windows backgrounds.

Now they have to setup a Msys2 environment and do builds with that, which
isn't as easy as it sounds with instructions that are partly outdated, but
if Win10 has an Ubuntu shell, that probably is quite same for everyone who
uses it, so why not try to build GIMP for Windows with that? GIMP isn't
supposed to be an elitist Linux application, but a serious cross platform
tool for everyone. Or so I have thought this far.

Your view makes perfect sense, no worry! :-)
It would be good if this new Bash in Windows helped Windows
contributor build, hence code for GIMP, since the project is seriously
lacking from developers on this platform.

Now what I don't understand is that you are trying to build *on*
Windows *for* Windows, yet you are writing about cross-building. That
should be a native build instead, not a cross-build… unless I really
misunderstand what this bash shell on Windows is, but I don't think
that's supposed to be an emulator, right?!
So if I understand you well, you don't want to cross-build. :-)

Now to know exactly how we can help you though, it is necessary that
you explain exactly what you already did, just as Michael Schumacher
proposed.
The fact is that you actually won't find what you are looking for
(someone who already did it and could give you hints) since — as I
said — we are lacking dedicated Windows developer. You are maybe the
first to try building on this new Windows-Bash shell, and in that
respect, you are an explorer of this new Windows feature. In the end,
if you manage to do it, you will likely be the one able to explain
others. :-)

Now we can still help you with generic and theoretical help on what we
know about building GIMP in general, but not specific help.
But feel free to ask and tell us on your advances on the matter. We
are very interested on the topic. Also you can always ask me stuff
personally. I am the GIMP newcomers mentor, so reaching out to Windows
developers in one of my hope to improve GIMP.
Thanks!

Jehan

- Petteri Soininen