Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On 11/19/2012 12:50 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
>
>> for my needs was optimal; but I would also like to try to address the
>> problems that the new export functionality tries to solve, except that I
>> don' have a clear idea of what they are (except the image quality for
>> compressed formats).
>
> There must be a reason why one group of people keeps linking to
> http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Save_%2B_export_specification and
> http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Vision_briefing, and another group of
> people carefully ignores these links.

I swear I read them and I think that I understood the rationale. But
that's note the same thing as saying that I understand what was wrong
with the save functionality in 2.6 (because I still don't).

>> Is it actually possible for a user to lose the layers when saving to
>> JPEG with gimp 2.6? The JPEG plugin asks to flatten the image, at which
>> points the users would cancel the process if he really cares about them.
>
> You seem to be under impression that people actually read text in prompts :)

Maybe many don't, but at least they can't blame you for that, can they? :-)
I mean, you can get burnt by this issue once, indeed. But the second
time you'll be more careful -- and in any case you can't blame the gimp
developers if you didn't read a questions which appeared while saving
your extremely important file. :-)

>> Or do you have reports when this did not occur for some reasons?
>
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list/2012-November/msg00190.html

It seems that it happened with 2.8, so we could reverse the reasoning
and say that the new changes don't help.
Though I agree that losing layers with 2.8 is much more difficult, you
will never be able to protect those users who don't carefully read your
dialog messages...
I would argue that gimp's target users are those who are attentive
enough to read the questions presented to them before clicking on a
button, and also know that JPEG is a lossy format.

Ciao,
  Alberto

--
http://blog.mardy.it <- geek in un lingua international!