Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On 11/19/2012 12:30 PM, Simon Budig wrote:
> People add layers and try to save back to jpeg, later wondering where
> their layers are. Yeah, it is easy to denounce them as clueless users,
> but this is thought too short. Assuming that people know about the lossy
> behaviour of jpeg is just wrong.

I was actually trying to find some evidence of this problem (since AFAIU
this was one of the main reasons for the new export functionality) but I
couldn't find much. I tried to google for "gimp lost layers" and "gimp
lost xcf", without finding anything interesting.

The reason why I'm interested in this is because I'm planning to make a
branch of gimp which saves files with a behaviour similar to 2.6, which
for my needs was optimal; but I would also like to try to address the
problems that the new export functionality tries to solve, except that I
don' have a clear idea of what they are (except the image quality for
compressed formats).

Is it actually possible for a user to lose the layers when saving to
JPEG with gimp 2.6? The JPEG plugin asks to flatten the image, at which
points the users would cancel the process if he really cares about them.
Or do you have reports when this did not occur for some reasons?

Ciao,
  Alberto

--
http://blog.mardy.it <- geek in un lingua international!