Re: Changing the name of GUADEC

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 02:06:21PM +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Quim Gil wrote:
> >The only conflict I see is the "E" of "European".
>
> Tilt it on its side and it's fine, "W" for world.

I don't know if this (very simple idea) has been proposed before, but
the "E" could easily be removed by changing the meaning of the acronym
to:

   "Gnome Users And DEvelopers Conference"

This allows the existence without naming conflicts of Guadec-Brasil,
Guadec-Hispana, and any other "local" and not strictly European
version of the "Gnome Conference". I really think "European" should be
removed from the name ASAP.

In my opinion "Guadec: Gnome Users and DEvelopers Conference" is a
quite good name, with some branding already given from the work done
in the last years.

When organizing the Guadec Hispana this year, we didn't find big
naming problems with the journalists, and the event was covered in
most of the main Spanish newspapers.  The message "Guadec is the
international Gnome Conference, and Gnome is a desktop alternative to
the traditional proprietary ones" is not so extremely complex, even
for the "outsiders".

j.