Re: Changing the name of GUADEC

On Tue, September 6, 2005 10:51, Dave Neary wrote:
> Vincent Untz a écrit :
>> To answer Dave: I like GUADEC (more than GConf, to be honest). But look
>> at various other conferences: is their name easily "understandable"?
>> I don't think it's more understandable than GUADEC, but once you know
>> what it means, you remember it.
>
> OSCon

When I see this, I think "Operating System Conference". Wrong.

> DefCon

I'm not even sure what it means :-)

> Linux Expo
> Desktop Summit
> GNOME Summit
> LinuxTag
> XConf
> ApacheCon
> LinuxWorld

I can agree on those.

> All have a clear link to conference/expo/day, and in some way evoke what
> they're about.

I'm not sure that having a link to conference/expo/day is what's
important. I'd prefer having a clear link to what they're about.

> On the other hand, some geek conferences have really bad names that have
> stuck (and some of them even do quite well)
>
> YAPC
> RMLL (although it's now better known as the Libre Software Meeting)

They use LSM for Libre Software Meeting :-)

> FOSDEM
> GUADEC
>
> (and for the record, aKademy is a better name than GUADEC).
>
> I was talking to Glynn Foster last night on IRC, and he said that one of
> the main reasons for GUADEC was outreach - getting new people to GNOME.
> And that changing the style and content of the conference was more
> important than changing the name. I agree, but I think that the name
> doesn't help towards that goal. It's more of a hindrance than a help. So
> why not change it?

I'd agree with Glynn here.

We could keep GUADEC and when advertising it, have a note about it's
meaning. For example, on posters, you would write a big GUADEC and add
a subtitle. The logo is important too. I mean, when people see GUADEC,
they also see other things in the context: they don't just see GUADEC
somewhere and nothing else.

I'm not a big supporter of the name, but I really fail to see how
changing the name will help. I don't expect more people to come if
they see there's GConf in two weeks where they live (but I might be
wrong).

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.