Re: Changing the name of GUADEC

Hi,

Vincent Untz a écrit :
To answer Dave: I like GUADEC (more than GConf, to be honest). But look
at various other conferences: is their name easily "understandable"?
I don't think it's more understandable than GUADEC, but once you know
what it means, you remember it.

OSCon
DefCon
Linux Expo
Desktop Summit
GNOME Summit
LinuxTag
XConf
ApacheCon
LinuxWorld

All have a clear link to conference/expo/day, and in some way evoke what they're about.

On the other hand, some geek conferences have really bad names that have stuck (and some of them even do quite well)

YAPC
RMLL (although it's now better known as the Libre Software Meeting)
FOSDEM
GUADEC

(and for the record, aKademy is a better name than GUADEC).

I was talking to Glynn Foster last night on IRC, and he said that one of the main reasons for GUADEC was outreach - getting new people to GNOME. And that changing the style and content of the conference was more important than changing the name. I agree, but I think that the name doesn't help towards that goal. It's more of a hindrance than a help. So why not change it?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary