Re: Sorting photos, please

For what it's worth I recently imported 49,452 images into F-Spot after
a catastrophic hard disk failure.

I re-tagged all of them within two hours and after fixing bug the memory
leak bug for RAWs.

F-Spot already handles the condition where your images are organized by
folder.  Simply turn off the "copy image" checkbox when importing.  The
only thing missing is reflecting this fact in the UI.  However this is
solved with importing one folder at a time and creating the necessary
tag for it, and repeating for each folder.  No symlinks needed.