Re: multilingual tags

On 15/09/06, Thomas PARIS <mercen mercen org> wrote:
Actually, the XMP spec allows storing several thumbnails. In the same
way it defines language alternatives arrays, it also defines thumbnail
alternatives arrays. So you can store several thumbnails from which the
app will choose one to use. Which one to use is up to the app and it's
possible to add some info to somewhat describe the alternatives.  Nifty,
heh?

And scary too ;)

> The possibilities for expanding the FSF data are endless.

Which is precisely the reason why I don't like this idea. F-spot would
be the only app able to make sense of it and I want my metadata to make
sense to as many apps as possible. Which implies following open and
popular specs.

My 2¢, of course.

I agree 100% about following open and popular specs for the things
that the specs specify. However, if we limit F-spot's funcionality by
the limits of the specs, then F-spot could never be better than any
other app that conforms to those same specs and also breaks them.
That's why my solution conforms to the specs and lets other apps read
the tags (that are in XMP), and still provides to F-spot added
functionality through the FSF data.

Dotan Cohen