multilingual tags

Hi all,

<introduction type=long>

Believe it or not, even though I have already started looking at f-spot
code and have already contributed one (trivial) patch, I had still not
started to use f-spot. In particular, I had not started tagging my
pictures yet.

And I had decided that I would start tonight.

But... as I was about to start tagging, I had a bit of a dilemma: which
language should I use to name the tags? I'm fluent in both English and
French, though more comfortable with French, what with it being my
mother tongue. I use English on my website because I've got many friends
who can't read French but sometimes wish I was writing the blog entries
in French since, well, my French is better than my English is.

</introduction>

So, I was wondering which language to use for my tags when it dawned on
me: why do I have to pick one? Why can't my tags by l10n'd? I should
have the possibility to set both an English and a French name for each
tag I create and f-spot would choose the right language for display
depending on the current locale. Or even better, I would have the
possibility to change the tag language dynamically, without restarting
f-spot.

What about you? Would like this kind of functionnality? Or am I a
strange guy with strange needs? If there is interest, I might have a
closer look at how this could be implemented. I've already had a quick
look at the XMP spec (since I don't think it would be difficult to add
support in f-spot, if it were not for interoperability) and to me it
sounds like while the spec allows multilingual titles, it doesn't allow
multilingual keywords. I can already picture multiple XMP keywords for a
single f-spot tag, and all the headaches that would entail :(

Anyway, sorry for the long email and please lemme know what you think
about that crack I've been smoking.

Heippa,
Thomas "mercen" PARIS

--
Google Talk / Jabber: mercen jabber typhon net
http://mercen.org         <- news