Re: [Evolution] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Fast full-text search of e-mails?

On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 21:34 -0500, Adam Seering wrote:
I seem to have touched off a bit of a discussion here...

It sounds like Evolution's indexing support is very protocol-
specific. I guess my specific question should be:  Does Evolution
EWS support full-text indexing?

If not:  It seems like the functionality does exist for POP.  Is
there a known interesting technical reason why it would be hard to
just enable the same thing for EWS (when all e-mail is cached
offline)?  Or is it just a matter of "no one has gotten around to it
yet?"

        Hi,
I'm not sure about evolution-ews, it seems to me (a brief code
reading) that it searches on local messages only, eventually downloads
missing messages. There can be a way to index the message bodies when
they are downloaded.

For the On This Computer folders, in times of using mbox storage the
message bodies were indexed, but since the move to maildir the
indexing of message bodies is disabled (it's the maildir provider
which has it disabled). I do not know the exact reason, the code only
mentions that indexing for maildir doesn't work properly, but nothing
concrete. Thus yes, nobody got to it yet.

There had been a GSoC 2014 idea to add "Notmuch as indexer and search
language", but it didn't move anywhere. I do not recall why precisely,
either the idea was dropped at the end of the proposal period or it
didn't attract any student.
        Bye,
        Milan