Re: New module proposal: tracker

> So user do not think "Wait, where I get the information when I meet
> Joe's to drink a beer or two" but I search "message from Joe containing
> meet" which gives back all messages from Joe containing meet.
>
> Or - I've seen a picture of myself and my schoolmate/workmate/soulmate
> etc. in some situation (school trip, conference etc.) but where it was.
> I enter "picture of (me and Alice) tagged London" - and here it is - it
> was posted on Facebook/Flickr (is in epiphany cache?).
>
> Cool - for sure. Useful - I don't think so - however I may be wrong. I
> guess that we should wait until 0.7 release and have it as optional
> dependency or set of plugins. If it is good enough - we should include
> it.

I don't quite get this "Tracker is useless because OMG it let's people
find things". Guess what - when Apple enabled instant search on OS X,
yes, there were people who loated it. But most people I worked with
Apple boxes LOVED it because it let them do what they should do - do
the stuff, not spend all the time to FIND things. And this is whole
reason why I still question why Tracker isn't enabled by default or at
least isn't install wise choice in Ubuntu. Yes, there are performance
penalty in the beginging. Yes, it could be improved. Do it helps me
find things? Yes, and that's why I care about Tracker.

We need a Tracker/Beagle type indexed search system, period. Beagle
hit a dead end (or Novell simply run out of money, what is
understandable), and Tracker got a lead here. What I see here is not
mere a discussion but a willing to show that there is no need to such
service. Which is totally wrong. Please don't spend all the time
discussing what is ontology, SPARSQL or Nepomuk is. Get basics covered
first. Then can check out benefits and what would be welcome to have
here.

Cheers,
Peter.