Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 15:12 -0400, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 20:57 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > tracker would provide a centralised storage of metadata which means
> > > multiple apps can share metadata safely, get notifications when it
> > > changes and know at design time what metadata is potentially available
> > > (via a schema similar to gconf)
> >
> > Seriously. I cannot parse this.
>
> well that was my best attempt - sorry it would not be productive for me
> to go and on about this

I'm afraid I underspend what you mean as far as technology is concerned
but I don't see how it would improve my "desktop experience".

> > > All metadata can be cross referenced in queries allowing for powerful
> > > search capabilities all via a uniform api and search language
> > >
> > > Use cases:
> > >
> > > 1) Centralised storage, tagging, search and query of bookmarks for
> > > Epiphany
> >
> > Uh? What's the point of 'centralizing' it? I mean Epiphany can do all
> > of this just fine anyway? You want to sell tracker to me listing
> > features that Epiphany can do anyway?
> >

> Epiphany does not share its metadata with anyone else nor can you cross
> query it

I believe that gnome do and/or deskbar do it quite well w/out tracker.

> > > 2) Zeitgeist integration of events with said search and query
> > > capabilities
> >
> > Hmm, I cannot really parse this either.
> >
> > > 3) Centralisation of all tags (nautilus, zeitgeist, fspot.
> > > facebook/flickr etc). No need to duplicate tagging in different apps
> >
> > Hmm, why should this be in tracker? not in gvfs?
>
> flickr/facebook

Sorry. But I don't have English parser good enough to parse it.

----

As far as understood tracker is designed to be something like WinFS. So
I operate in terms of peoples, tags and objects instead of folders and
files.

So user do not think "Wait, where I get the information when I meet
Joe's to drink a beer or two" but I search "message from Joe containing
meet" which gives back all messages from Joe containing meet.

Or - I've seen a picture of myself and my schoolmate/workmate/soulmate
etc. in some situation (school trip, conference etc.) but where it was.
I enter "picture of (me and Alice) tagged London" - and here it is - it
was posted on Facebook/Flickr (is in epiphany cache?).

Cool - for sure. Useful - I don't think so - however I may be wrong. I
guess that we should wait until 0.7 release and have it as optional
dependency or set of plugins. If it is good enough - we should include
it.