Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 18:16 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Philip Van Hoof<spam pvanhoof be> wrote:
> >
> > So sure there are a lot of ramblings about us having to adapt all of
> > GNOME's desktop to start using it, but I bet that even if we'd start
> > making patches we'd still get as reply from many of the maintainers of
> > the individual applications: "sorry, but we can't depend on Tracker".
>
> Well, as a maintainer of a different "not yet fully baked" technology
> piece, I think it'd be reasonable to get patches in some applications
> as optional dependencies.  As long as you can explain to the
> application authors why it's valuable and why they should maintain the
> code in the future.
>
> Since you're a DBus service just saying "if (org.freedesktop.Tracker
> isn't on the bus); return" isn't that hard.

You're right about that.

And that's probably also how we'll try to make these patches.

I must warn, though, that most of the members of the team have a tight
schedule (there's indeed a customer for this, which I don't think is a
big secret nor do I think there's anything wrong with that).

I hope that this discussion made contributors interested. Ideally they'd
start a patch and then we pick it up, improve it, make it ready, support
it at the application's mailinglist, etc. Equally ideally a maintainer
of an application gets in touch with us and discusses the possibilities.

It's going to have to be something like this. But we are openminded, and
if you ask on the #tracker mailing list, I'm sure you'll hear that we
are helping interested people a lot. Sometimes too much, as we can't
always focus on our actual daily tasks if we have to answer a lot.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be