Re: 'Delete' v. 'Move to trash'

On 01/07/2005 04:35:56 PM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
Not necessary--the issue is the way that Balsa adds `Delete' as an alternative accelerator. If that's removed, so that `D' for `move to trash' and `Ctrl+D' for `toggle deleted' are the only accelerators, you can bind `Delete' to either one in the usual way. As Andrew noted, what happens is that first the existing accelerator is removed but not replaced (I guess that's the standard meaning of hitting `Delete'), and the second time you `Delete', it establishes `Delete' as the accelerator.

That setup seems to offer the most flexibility--all that remains is deciding how to cope with user reaction to taking away an accustomed accelerator!

Strange, I can't assign delete to any menu item in gcalctool, gedit or gnome-terminal (which were the ones I tried). But if it works for everyone else, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

(gtk 2.4 and gnome 2.8 on Fedora Core 3 by the way)