Re: 'Delete' v. 'Move to trash'

On 01/07/2005 11:26:37 AM, Craig Routledge wrote:
On 01/06/2005 11:23:34 PM, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
[ snip ]
So perhaps the default (initial) binding for `Delete' should be to a dialog that offers to bind it to either `move to trash' or `toggle deleted'[1]? (I believe that's feasible, right?)

That sounds okay. Although someone might change their mind later. Maybe instead of lots of preferences in the crowded preferences dialog, we could have a "reset mailbox to default settings" command?
[ snip ]
It might be cleaner to have the dialog present three options:
  * move to trash
  * toggle deleted
  * do nothing

OK--here's what I had in mind:

- a new item on the Settings menu, labeled "`Delete' key
  binding", with programmed accelerator `Delete';

- this item pops up a dialog:

  Balsa has no default action when you press the `Delete' key.
  You can choose to have it:
  [ ] move selected messages to trash;
  [x] toggle the deleted flag for selected messages;
  [ ] do nothing.
  [OK]

- hitting OK removes the binding of `Delete' to this menu item, and if either of the first two radio-buttons is checked, transfers it to the corresponding action.

Later, the menu item is still there, with no accelerator, but the user can change the assignment either by popping up the dialog or by the usual mouse-over/key-press method.

Or is that all just too much of a hack?