Re: [anjuta-devel] Anjuta and GSoC2013

Hi Varad,

On 04/22/2013 03:19 PM, Varad Gautam wrote:
Hi everyone!
I worked on an application draft for GSoC and so far, I have this.
I request you to take a look into it and please suggest modifications,
and help me figure out a realistic timeline.
I will also add some of the ideas mentioned by Johannes (like having
proper commit messages, list out and apply patches directly) to my
application.
Looks like a great start. Just a few comments:

Timeline of the Project:

TO BE DECIDED

Midterm Deliverables:

TO BE DECIDED
This has to be at least somewhat figured out before you submit your
proposal. When I was a GSoC student I noticed that the admins seemed to
care about this part the most. It doesn't have to be set in stone; in
fact you should leave yourself a lot of room for parts of the project
that run longer than expected, because I guarantee you there will be at
least one milestone that will slip. It happens, especially when you're
working with an unfamiliar codebase and technologies. It's also
perfectly OK if you don't get to everything during the summer. But we
would like to have something that's somewhat useful and can be easily
understood and possibly maintained by other developers should you not be
able to continue the project past the end of the summer. Plus, we're
going to need some type of benchmark for midterm and final evaluations.

About me:

I have been using GNOME for over seven years now, and am quite a fan
of its simplicity and ease of use. Only recently have I come across
open source software development, and find it very interesting. I
would like to become an active part of the community and contribute to
it.

I can program in C/C++, Python and Java, and have built GUI
applications using Swing and PyQt. I have experience in programming
for the BeagleBoard. I also have fair experience of shell scripting. I
have worked on a project that involved using a BeagleBoard for
building a voice-controlled position-based lighting system using
Julian Speech Recognition Engine and OpenCV as the backends.
Your background seems pretty varied and interesting. Would it be
possible for you to list the names of or at least some links or other
references to these projects? It would be helpful if we could have a
look at some of your work so that we can evaluate your experience
firsthand. Think of us as a potential employer--we want to see evidence
that you can actually code, work as part of a team, and learn new skills
on the job. ;)

On a related subject: in past years GNOME has required GSoC applicants
to work on a bug in our Bugzilla. Have you found one to work on yet?

Looking good so far! :)

Thanks,
James