Re: [anjuta-devel] Anjuta and GSoC2013

Hi everyone!
I worked on an application draft for GSoC and so far, I have this.
I request you to take a look into it and please suggest modifications,
and help me figure out a realistic timeline.
I will also add some of the ideas mentioned by Johannes (like having
proper commit messages, list out and apply patches directly) to my
application.
---
Introduction to my Idea:

Anjuta DevStudio is a fast and lightweight IDE with support for  C,
C++, Java, JavaScript, Python and Vala. It is greatly suited for open
source software development on GNOME.

Each open source software project maintains a track of its current
bugs into some form of tracking system, like Bugzilla, which makes it
convenient for contributors to collaborate on code from across the
world and keep a track of pending issues with the software.

I propose to build an extension for Anjuta which integrates it with
Bugzilla so that the programmers using the IDE can:

* View bugs posted on the Bugzilla page of the project they’re working on,

* File new bugs onto Bugzilla,

* Submit patches directly from the IDE, instead of having to do it
manually, and,

* Comment/Post to pre-existing bugs

Implementation Details for the Idea:

The idea involves building a user interface which is used to interact
with Bugzilla. The interface consists of:

* A pane that displays the active bugs on the Bugzilla page of the
current project at the center of the UI,

* Push-buttons to file bugs, submit a patch and make comments that
show corresponding windows upon being clicked,

* The “File a Bug” window lets the users change the various options
that are presented when filing a bug on the bugzilla website,

* The “Submit a Patch” window lets users upload patches to bugzilla,

* The “Comment” window to make comments on an existing bug.

The project will be done using the APIs provided by Bugzilla and
certain modifications to the git plugin that already exists for
Anjuta. I plan to use git-bz subcommand to connect git with bugzilla.
The interface is built in Glade and programmed in C.

Benefits for the Community:

The project will benefit all those who use Anjuta IDE regularly for
development. Users will no longer have to manually visit Bugzilla
pages and submit patches. Instead, they can do the same with ease from
within the IDE itself.

The feature is a part of Anjuta’s Project Roadmap, and will be a
useful addition to the IDE.

Timeline of the Project:

TO BE DECIDED

Midterm Deliverables:

TO BE DECIDED

About me:

I have been using GNOME for over seven years now, and am quite a fan
of its simplicity and ease of use. Only recently have I come across
open source software development, and find it very interesting. I
would like to become an active part of the community and contribute to
it.

I can program in C/C++, Python and Java, and have built GUI
applications using Swing and PyQt. I have experience in programming
for the BeagleBoard. I also have fair experience of shell scripting. I
have worked on a project that involved using a BeagleBoard for
building a voice-controlled position-based lighting system using
Julian Speech Recognition Engine and OpenCV as the backends.

I prefer using Anjuta over other IDEs and think that it should also
have a bugzilla integration. Integrating it with bugzilla will surely
benefit many people and this excites me very much. I would love to
work on it and make a useful contribution.

I have worked on the bug

Other Open Source Contributions:

None.

Other Commitments for the Summer: