[anjuta-devel] Anjuta and GSoC2013

Hi all,

GSoC 2013 is starting and we have at least one motivated student, Varad. Who is available to be a mentor? Do you have ideas for GSoC projects?

On my side, I could be a mentor but I will probably not be available the complete summer.

Varad has already proposed the following:

* Todo plugins
It's more than our old todo plugin, it should keep a log of what is done. The program 'Programmer's Diary' running on Windows could be used as an example.

* Task focuses interface:
This is not very clear for me. There is an eclipse plugin doing something like this: http://www.eclipse.org/mylyn/

* Bugzilla plugin:
I think it would be useful but it needs to be better than the current web interface. I would like to be able to commit and remove a patch directly, select a few commits add them to a new or already existing bug report... It probably has to be linked to the git plugin. What do you think James?

Some other ideas:

* Debugger for javascript:
As javascript is the "official" GNOME language, it would be nice to have some debugging support.

* Code completion for javascript:
For the same reason, we need a better support for code completion.

* Support multiple view in document manager:
It would be useful to compare two files. In addition, it would be nice to be able to detach a windows like in GEdit or Firefox.

* Code refactoring
It would be nice to be able to rename a variable in the whole program by example.

* Add some regression test
It's difficult to check UI code but it will be very useful.

The following things are on going, so probably not suitable for GSoC

* Run on Windows:
Arnel is working on it and I don't think it is really good for GSoC.

* Improve code completion:
We need to use the code from the previous GSoC. I think Massimo will look at it but I'm interested too. There are several requests for better code completion.

* Rich client platform:
I'm working on this to implement GNOME IDE. I have taken these words from eclipse. The goal is to run anjuta with a different set of plugins allowing to have a quite different program. By example, we could get a simple editor if we keep only the document manager and the editor plugin.

* BuildJ project backend:
Abderrahim will work on it.

What do think will be the most useful for GSoC projects?