Re: [xml] Availability of libxm2-2.9.0 release candidate 1

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 04:50:33PM -0400, Daniel Richard G. wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Daniel Veillard wrote:

Okay, thanks ! seems to work fine.
My last annoyance ATM with makefiles is devhelp files being rebuilt
systematically, even on a just built tree or if running "make check"

Any idea what might have introduced this ;-) ?

I believe some of my changes may be responsible, specifically the
replacement of plain wildcards in the dependencies for
libxml2-api.xml to GNU Make constructs that actually work :>

The problem there is that with an in-source build, one of the files
matched by

      $(wildcard $(top_srcdir)/include/libxml/*.h)

is xmlversion.h, which is generated at configure time. Whoops!

  haha, okay :-)

I've rewritten that bit to filter out that particular file (and
depend on xmlversion.h.in instead), but there's another problem:

If you regenerate libxml2-api.xml in an out-of-source build,
apibuild.py does not see xmlversion.h, because the script runs in
srcdir and that header only exists in builddir. So libxml2-api.xml
then does not include anything about xmlversion.h.

Then, when you go to doc/devhelp/ and regenerate the HTML files, no
libxml2-xmlversion.html file is generated. Whatever old one existed
previously sticks around.

And when you go to install, it sees that libxml2-xmlversion.html is
out of date (or missing), so it regenerates the HTML files.

Repeat ad infinitum :(

  I see ...

Two patches are attached to this message. The first one is another
round of fixes/clean-up for the documentation build (including the
above issue), as well as the tests under doc/examples/. The second
one is an update of my earlier Autotools-obsolete-constructs patch.

This should make the devhelp rebuilds go away for in-source
builds

  Yes that's working fine !

---let me know if not---but apibuild.py really needs to be
updated so that it does the right thing in out-of-source builds.

  apibuild.py really doesn't need to be run except when preparing some
kind of release, and well I do them in in-source builds so the status
quo sounds fine to me. To some extend apibuild.py and symbols.xml are
contracts, release contracts, and really should not be updated on casual
commits to he tree in my opinion.

  thanks a lot for the 2 patches, applied and pushed to head !

Daniel