Re: [Vala] Removal of Mono

The "on topic" results of the thread so far are:

...pretty worthless.

automatic language conversion of C#
The code won't compile but the syntax would be valid.
Maybe Vala's parser could parse C# into a Vala AST which it could re-emit as
vala code
Maybe some perl/python tool to fix up or highlight the various constructs
Maybe just conversion of the mono project files into an automake file

FFS, this is A Bad Idea.
Maybe we could write a parser frontend for every known language in
existence, map that into Common Lisp, then re-emit it as Objective
CAML.
Then we could write another tool in [incr Tcl] to fixup or highlight
the various constructs.
And then we could implement a tool to convert automake and autoconf
files into Makefiles.

vapi/vala re-writes of some common mono dependencies
(This would also improve the gnome eco-system)
If these can be made available to mono again, it would support a seamless
bottom up migration

There really aren't any "common mono dependencies," except for Mono.
If you rewrote Mono in Vala, then migrated Mono to Mono, you'd still have Mono.
(Insert Xzibit meme here.)

Improve vala documentation (particularly to be useful for developers not
familiar with gobject)

This is actually worthwhile, although its inclusion in the list for
competitive reasons and not on its own merit is disheartening.

Port Tomboy as a show-case project port
There is already a project that showcases Vala in comparison to C,
C++, and C#: http://code.google.com/p/vala-benchmarks/

Can we please stop the ridiculousness now? Please?

--
http://homes.eff.org/~barlow/EconomyOfIdeas.html
http://www.dreamsongs.com/MobSoftware.html