Re: [Vala] Removal of Mono

* Jiří Zárevúcky wrote, On 26/06/09 12:28:
Ah, another one of the anti-mono guys. Sigh...

Ah, another one of those guys who sees anti-mono guys everywhere.

Let me tell you, that from the sole principle of how Vala works, it
will never be possible to convert C# code in a mechanistic fashion.

Of course it will, it just won't compile or run.

You could maybe try creating some sort of automatic converter, which
wouldn't work anyway, as it would result in a lot of bugs, inferior
performance and (in better case) memory leaks.

You could try this too. I think I'll wait to see if there is a need.

Just the possibility of
"Vala being able to compile C# code" is so ridiculous I wonder who
came up with that.

I've never heard the idea suggested, and I didn't suggest it. It seems
you are the one who came up with it.

I wish you had read my message. In it I acknowledged some of these points.

I think you read the message you thought I had written.

But there will be some language features of C# which are not within the
vala philosphy or language direction but which might be supported and
thus making some migration easier; I merely suggest keeping an open eye
for these.

I don't expect any mechanistically converted C# to "compile and work"
with Vala, but it could be valid vala, with the parts that need
re-working annotated.

Anyway. Why hating Mono?

I don't hate mono (although I prefer Vala). I wrote a nice mono
application for controlling my USB experimenter board.

Mono is a great software platform and people
will use it no matter what MS-haters say about it.

Good for them. (And me, I'm one of them).

Get over it people.

Get over what? I don't understand your attitude in this response!

I merely advocated keeping a weather eye open in case we could help a
migration from mono. I don't advocate that we actually DO anything.

Sam