[Vala] Port Tomboy?

On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 08:03 +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:
Raphael Bosshard wrote:
I'd rather like a possibility to automatically convert (or
semi-convert, with manual fixes) C# code to Vala. There are some
C#/Mono libraries out there (like Banshees ListView implementation)
which provide a real benefit. Right now these libraries are only
available to Mono applications. In some cases it would make sense to
have a 'low level' implementation. It would be nice if they were
available for the whole Gnome eco-system.
I hadn't considered how it would enrich gnome in general, but of
course you are right, and this is one of the advantages of Vala.

The "on topic" results of the thread so far are:

     1. automatic language conversion of C#
        The code won't compile but the syntax would be valid.
              * Maybe Vala's parser could parse C# into a Vala AST
                which it could re-emit as vala code
              * Maybe some perl/python tool to fix up or highlight the
                various constructs
              * Maybe just conversion of the mono project files into
                an automake file
     2. vapi/vala re-writes of some common mono dependencies
        (This would also improve the gnome eco-system)
        If these can be made available to mono again, it would support
        a seamless bottom up migration
     3. Improve vala documentation (particularly to be useful for
        developers not familiar with gobject)
     4. Port Tomboy as a show-case project port
4 seems to be very fun; how large is the codebase of tomboy?

BTW: What is the largest show-case project driven by VALA, excluding
vala itself? Here I am not limiting within project ported from mono.

-Yu

Sam