Re: [Usability] Better look Re: (no subject)

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 11:14 +0200, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> On 12/14/05, Josue Farde <josuefrade sapo pt> wrote:
> > Ok manage to reduce it enough... look into the attachement please
>
> Just two quick opinions on the mockup:
>
> 1) The look is awfully close to that of Aqua (at least it reminded me
> of it straight away, and I don't even use macs regurarly...)
There isn't much we can do about that almost every style has been used
before and if we are completly honest Mac expend lots of time thinking
in what would be the best option for a desktop environment (i'm not
saying to copy it) so some similarity may be necessary

> 2) What if I had a complex background image or an application window
> under the menu? It seems to me that it would seriously interfere with
> the readability of the text in the menus.

Humm you mabe be right but that could be change, if the user have the
option to change the itensity of the transparacy. and if the words have
an appropriate shadow behind.
> --
> Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi
> Powered by http://movial.fi
> Interesting stuff at http://syslog.movial.fi

Someone yesterday (sorry for not remembering the name) said that he
couldn't make his family change into gnome due to the graphics and i
understand him because i have the same problem, if gnome has a better
look and feel it will be more used.
My idea is to change the look and feel of gnome into something completly
diferent that will make people get interessed. Transparacy is just an
idea but i hope we can get somewhere discussing the subject.
we must find a way of pleasing everybody with the GUI interface

Oh and ragarding labels just a quick opinion

if the labels are going to stay near the icons (wich after thinking a
bit i agree with) can it be lined at the right side of the icon? I mean
the box with the label start directly above the icon. Being in the
center makes it confusing.

there is another BIG problem with gnome at the moment that i have
experienced, after instalation and after being st up gnome does not work
very well when it comes to pass the image into the screen, i've been
experiencing lots of problems,like lines going across, or screen turning
black while using mouse or keybord.