Re: [Usability] Better look Re: (no subject)

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:59:11 +0100
> From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ freenet de>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Better look Re: (no subject)
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:43:36PM +0000, Josue Farde wrote:
> > Look man is like this are you interessed in help gnome or make stupid
> > comments?????
> > I came here trying to help... i'm actually trying to do what u said
> > "Someone needs to roll up his/her sleeves and implement/create", i want
> > to do something about it and i'm asking for help and opinions... do i
> > really have to take ur arrogant actitude?????
> >
> > josue

> > > It's been a while since I've taken math classes (hint: 2 is not a
> > > word, it's a number), but if you are saying that you'd provide a
> > > mockup of what you mean then by all means.
> > >
> > > Nothing tells it better than a pretty picture :)

> Pointing at your misuse of 2 is not arrogant. Neither would be

Josue,

Using lots of abbreviations and unusual expression makes it more difficult
for other people to understand what you are saying.  This leads to
frustration and makes it more difficult to take your ideas seriously if
you are not willing to take more time to present them seriously.  There
are many people like yourself who are not using English as their first
langauge so everything you can do to make things clearer helps us to help
you.  Things go much better when we all try and use slightly more formal
English and make an effort to be polite although we all get frustrated by
the criticism sometimes and respond harshly.  It is easy to think of email
as conversation between friends and to use shorthand like you would in
Text Messaging but it is a lot more like business so choosing your words
carefully helps.

Also any mails sent to the list are publically archived for everyone to
see.  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/

> pointing out that you shouldn't post top, with quote below, as the now
> broken sequence in this mail shows.

There is an old tradition by which replies are expected to follow the
message rather than be posted at the top.  Many email programs put the
cursor at the top of the message which doesn't help but I hope you can
understand how it make things much easier to read if the old parts of the
conversation go in sequence.

like so:

>>>  start

>> middle

> more

> Now how about actualy doing something instead of waisting everyones time
> with useless questions (like you would need Kalle's allowance or
> something) and flaming? Otherwise just shut up.

Please keep in mind Josue could be new to all this, I think we all made
mistakes when we were beginners.  We should give him a fair chance to
learn the rules and treat him just as politely as whats-his-name who
complained yesterday even if Josue isn't famous.

> How is any kind of transluceny supposed to provide more information to
> the user without making text hard to read / objects hard to make it?
> If it's not about more information in the same space, what else could
> be the benefit?

Sometimes eyecandy and a flash demo is the benefit in itself, a marketing
hook to attract people even if the results would never make suitable
defaults.

Good luck Josue, try out your ideas because maybe when people see the
results they will be better able to give it a fair judgment.

There may be better places to explore your interest in Gnome Art than
the general usability list but I wish you the best of luck.

- Alan