Re: Sawfish v1.3.3 not working properly with ISO-8859 locale

Hi,
Timo Korvola iki fi (2008-03-16 at 1324.01 +0200):
> Thierry Godefroy <reserv0 yahoo com> writes:
> > was forcing the use of antialiased fonts): the antialiased fonts are
> > simply much less well rendered
>
> There is the problem that processing Truetype rendering hints is
> patented.  But the Freetype autohinter has been improving, and it also
> applies to Type 1 fonts.

No idea what is being used now by Freetype, but there are some fonts
that it render pixel sharp (without AA but properly hinted), like
MSCoreFonts, or even better, the Liberation pack (a RH contribution,
avaliable in other systems too, or just drop the files into ~/.fonts/
dir). For me the "you are sick if you do not love fuzzy fonts" rants
are well over, correct config and font files show it is possible to
get "pixelated" fonts. It just took some years, but no more excuses,
only thing missing is howtos/docs to be updated to stop giving one
side version of what is a "nice font" (full AA, it seems) and provide
all the possible styles (fuzzy, pixelated...).

So here is the part of ~/.fonts.conf to disable AA for mid range
except Italics (similar thing can be done with Bold if checking for
medium weight instead of roman slant, the range can be tweaked as you
want, all fonts if you disable the size conditions, medium and small
if you remove the more check, etc):

  <!-- Disable antialias for 8-16 (with DPI 90, fonts 6-12) -->
  <match target="font">
    <test name="pixelsize" compare="less">
      <double>16.5</double>
    </test>
    <test name="pixelsize" compare="more">
      <double>7.5</double>
    </test>
    <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
      <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>
  <!-- But enable for non roman (italics) -->
  <match target="font">
    <test name="slant" compare="more">
      <const>roman</const>
    </test>
    <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
      <bool>true</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>

I can also provide the part that reorders aliases to prefer Liberation
before Vera, if anybody wants it (a bit verbose... XML...). Anyway,
recent installs should have proper aliases included already, even with
tips about how to set order, and Liberation should add own config too.

GSR