Re: Sawfish v1.3.3 not working properly with ISO-8859 locale

Timo Korvola <Timo.Korvola <at> iki.fi> writes:

> Thierry Godefroy <reserv0 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> > In fact, my guess is that somehow v1.3.3 did not like the font I was
> > using for windows title in CRUX with v1.3.1 and failed to display
> > it.
>
> Very much possible.  The UTF-8 patch only supports Pango fonts because
> nobody ever bothered to implement core X font support.  Everything
> should work fine, largely unaffected by the UTF-8 patch, if Sawfish
> runs in a UTF-8 locale.  Clients can run in different locales.

Yes, it was most probably a core X font... Probably Helvetica as I use it
everywhere else (including in Firefox)... I even had to modify Mandriva's font
configuration in /etc/fonts so that it won't prevent me to use the X fonts (it
was forcing the use of antialiased fonts): the antialiased fonts are simply much
less well rendered (they look blurry while X core fonts look perfectly crisp and
are much prettier and easier to read !) than the bitmap fonts, and just like
UTF-8, I hate the antialiased fonts (who needs anti-aliasing for UI fonts
anyway, given you only use one font size in the UI ?... This will always puzzle
me !): they are a waste of processing power and bring nothing.

In fact, I won't mind seeing Pango support dropped from sawfish in favour of the
X-core fonts... ;-P

Regards,

Thierry.