Re: Improving the GUI (Was: A dozen of new patches to test!)

Am Freitag, den 29.08.2008, 11:48 +0200 schrieb Janek Kozicki:
> Christopher Bratusek said:     (by the date of Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:18:27 +0200)

> > > Ah, the old tree view code is still there.  That is actually the
> > > original interface.  I don't know why it was replaced with the current
> > > multilevel tab mess.  Maybe a GTK 2 transition issue.
> >
> > perhaps. one issue is that the treeview currently only listens to
> > double-clicks.
> > Do you know how to make it listen to single-clicks? And do you think
> > re-activating
> > the treeview may solve our problem? (not hiding options _and_ not
> > getting cluttered)
> > I think that this is much better than that notebook-stuff.
>
> One idea from Time was particularly appealing for me - to add the
> ability of *searching* through all the config options exposed in GUI.
> You type in the search window what you want to configure, and the
> right configuration tab opens for you.
>
> Question is: does lisp recognize its variables as strings? Is it
> possible to (maybe regexp) search through the variables themselves
> that are exposed?
>
> But anyway - searching through descriptions would work well enough also.

Dunno, but what about the Treeview/Re-exposed and Re-ordered Options? Is
it OK like that? If so I would update the Wiki patches - which are not
equal to what I made in the meantime.

And is this to be for 1.3.5 or 1.5.0 (I'm just asking, 'cause those
patches revert that ugly changes made at GNOME 2.0 and there also
finishing two goals for 1.5.0 - Undeprecating Viewports, different
SawfishUI UI)

Chris

GNOME/Sawfish rule!