Improving the GUI (Was: A dozen of new patches to test!)

Christopher Bratusek said:     (by the date of Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:18:27 +0200)

> Am Dienstag, den 19.08.2008, 00:31 +0300 schrieb Timo Korvola:
>
> > Christopher Bratusek <nano-master gmx de> writes:
> > > I just found out that sawfish-ui has two modes, one with a treeview
> > > (unreachable without modifying the code)
> >
> > Ah, the old tree view code is still there.  That is actually the
> > original interface.  I don't know why it was replaced with the current
> > multilevel tab mess.  Maybe a GTK 2 transition issue.
>
> perhaps. one issue is that the treeview currently only listens to
> double-clicks.
> Do you know how to make it listen to single-clicks? And do you think
> re-activating
> the treeview may solve our problem? (not hiding options _and_ not
> getting cluttered)
> I think that this is much better than that notebook-stuff.

One idea from Time was particularly appealing for me - to add the
ability of *searching* through all the config options exposed in GUI.
You type in the search window what you want to configure, and the
right configuration tab opens for you.

Question is: does lisp recognize its variables as strings? Is it
possible to (maybe regexp) search through the variables themselves
that are exposed?

But anyway - searching through descriptions would work well enough also.