Re: Is there anything comparable out-there?

On Wed, 16 May 2007 22:27:26 +0200
Janek Kozicki <janek_listy wp pl> wrote:

> Ian Zimmerman said:     (by the date of 16 May 2007 13:26:53 -0400)
>
> > Janek> Andrea Vettorello tried to get a wiki on freedesktop. So I had
> > Janek> another suggestion. Well... having a project webpage should
> > help Janek> to make the project less dead ;)
> >
> > I see.  Yes, I agree with your last sentence.  However, there's no
> > reason why the development site (with CVS/svn, downloads etc.) has to
> > be the same as the wiki site.  They could simply be linked to each
> > other.
>
> You are absolutely right:
>
> 1. one webpage for developers (CVS/SVN, bugtracking, downloads)
> 2. second webpage for users (documentation, news, extensions,
> screenshots).
>
> crosslinked of course. Better if hosted on separete servers, being
> decentralized makes it less suspectible to serwer downtime problems.

I don't know about that, since there is only one copy of each page.
Therefore, each server will be down, when it is down, without backup.

In fact, if each server uses different resources, (backbone, hardware,
etc) there should be twice as much downtime, for part of the site.  That
is, twice as much possibility for someone to notice downtime with some
part of the project...